[Buddha-l] the benefits of Jayarava's discussion

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Aug 20 11:53:24 MDT 2008

On Wednesday 20 August 2008 11:19:57 Jackhat1 at aol.com wrote:

> The phrase I use in describing dukkha is, ultimately not satisfactory. We
> do find much in the world satisfactory at times but, since it is based on
> conditions, it never stays satisfactory.

This leads us to a deeper question, or at least to a further one of equal
shallowness. I often wonder whether the entire teaching of Buddhism isn't an
argument against a straw man. I mean, who on earth has ever been so foolish
as to believe that anything that satisfies the appetites is permanent in the
first place? Have you ever met anyone who would enjoy a dish of stew only if
he could first be shown that it is permanent or that it offers lasting
satisfaction? Have you ever met a lecher who would willingly experience an
orgasm only if it would never end?

Surely to abstain from something pleasurable simply because the satisfaction
it provides is temporary is the height of folly.

--
Richard