[Buddha-l] the benefits of Jayarava's discussion

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed Aug 20 10:13:22 MDT 2008

"Bhikkhu Bodhi also translates appamāda as vigilance and I got
the idea from him. I still prefer
not-blind-drunk-on-the-objects-of-the-senses, but vigilance has
the advantage of brevity."

Ah yes, and I think you mentioned him in the same article but I
was scurrying to copy what I needed and overlooked him. A word
extra--it seems to me that 'vigilance' (in English) historically
tends to have strong Christian overtones relating to morality
(sin, in a word), whereas the Buddha's message seems to me to
have more to do with vigilance about one's actual practice and
how one is (or is not) instructed by it.

Heh--was pleased to see you have some 90 articles on your blog so
I see much happy reading ahead of me.
Joanna