[Buddha-l] Looking for a source

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Apr 30 11:55:21 MDT 2008

On Wednesday 30 April 2008 07:18, Ben C Diez wrote:

>    I'm  looking  for  the  source  of this famous quote
> attributed to Siddhattha under the Bodhi tree:
>
>            Even  if  my flesh and blood were to dry up,
>         leaving  only  skin and bones, I will not leave
>         this  place  until  I  find  a  way  to end all
>         sorrow.

Hola Benito,

To the best of my very faulty and selective memory, that line does not occur
in any of the canonical accounts of the Buddha's happy tree event. That
should help narrow down its source. It's from some text in world literature
other than the canons of the sravaka schools that I happen to remember.

Incidentally, my saying that some saying absolutely does not occur in any
known text is an upaaya. What it does is to prompt some cowboy to jump on his
horse named Google and find at least six thousand Buddhist texts in which the
saying does in fact occur. You just have to know how to get the cowboy on his
horse.

Greetings to all the countless kotis of bodhisattvas, mahasattvas, mahoragas,
nagas and rakshasas in Asturias from the mostly contented pinto bean farmers
of Nuevo México.

--
Richard
http://www.unm.edu/~rhayes