[Buddha-l] Yet again: Nietzsche and Buddhism

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Apr 18 14:42:37 MDT 2008

On Friday 18 April 2008 13:17, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> Nietzsche wanted to irritate you, he enjoyed to be a pain in the ass.

In that case, I shall immediately start enjoying him, just to derive him from
the joy of being a pain. (Truth be told, I already enjoy reading Nietzsche,
because he's such a superb writer. Most philosophers, as you know, write in a
way that makes cookbooks and computer manuals delightful in comparison. This
is especially true in philosophical tradition with which I have the greatest
intellectual affinity. Analytic philosophers are a real pain in the
analysis.)

> I think that Nietzsche would have been quite
> pleased with the sadhus and yogis, but not with most of the monks.

The Quaker side of my being finds such a disposition quite tasteful.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy