[Buddha-l] Our correspondent on irreversible changes in Burma

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Sun Sep 30 10:51:33 MDT 2007

Gang,

> Gosh, folks, are we still buying into the first-century Mahayana
> polemics that all "Hinayanist" monks are completely selfish when it
> comes to spiritual goals? Metta for the other is a rather important
> part of Theravada, no?

Well questioned. And I might add I've not heard of any mass protests by
Mahayana monks in East Asia in non-dual solidarity with their brothers
in Burma. (Of course I should add I've not heard of any large scale
protests by the bordering sanghas of Thailand, either. I wonder why
not? Is there a good vinaya reason for protest or its lack?)

With, as Brad says, metta,

Franz