[Buddha-l] Religious, But is it the power of Kings?

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 29 10:55:02 MDT 2007

Dear Lance,

You raise important methodological points, and I agree that not enough
attention has been paid to them in the historical studies that follow the
"official line". On the other hand, so-called subaltern approaches have been
explored in recent decades, which are balancing our picture. I also agree
that sometimes the "court history" becomes a metonymy for more complex
events on the ground. In the case of Japan, though, the degree of Court
control over Buddhism, I believe, is something unparalleled in Buddhist
history, certainly when compared to China or Korea.

Once I meet the current pressing deadlines I would be glad to discuss this
further in detail.

best,
Dan