[Buddha-l] News from Burma

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 29 10:31:54 MDT 2007

I pass on something I received today (I won't disclose the source except
that it is circulating in overseas Chinese Buddhist communities), for what
it is worth.
Dan

I suspect all of us have by now heard about--and perhaps seen images
from--the protests that have been happening in Burma.  They wrote to me
earlier this morning:

We should try to get support from people in the world to help the Burmese
people in their struggle for righteousness. This is the act of compassion
not a political one: "Where there is suffering, I will use every means to
help free them" (Avalokiteshvara Chapter, Lotus Sutra).

What can we do to support our sisters and brothers there?

First, you can visit this web site (
http://www.avaaz.org/en/stand_with_burma/tf.php?cl_tf_sign=1) to sign a
petition to encourage the United Nations to support the protestors in their
efforts to secure peaceful change.

Secondly, you can learn more about Burma.  I am attaching the text of an
article from the September 27th issue of the Christian Science Monitor,
which gives a clear and succinct overview.

Next, you can take this opportunity to learn more about Burmese Buddhism.
Because Burma is largely isolated by its government, we don't know as much
about it as we do about other Buddhist countries, such as Thailand, Sri
Lanka, and Vietnam.  I can suggest a couple of web sites that, depending on
the depth of your interest, you might find interesting.  One is
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/buddhism/binburma.htm .  The other is
http://www.stanford.edu/group/scbs/calendar/2003-04/burma_conference/index.html .

Also, you can practice metta meditation for the people of Burma--the people
in the government, the monks and nuns, and the laypeople.  If you would like
to try a guided metta meditation, there is a guided meditation led by Sharon
Salzberg on this page of my web site: http://www.cloudbanner.com/Metta.html
, along with a few other resources on metta.

Finally, if you are in a position to offer financial support to help the
people of Burma, here is a list of international NGOs working in that
country.
http://www.burmafund.org/Pathfinders/Research_Library/civil_society_in_burma.htm
I am sure any of them would welcome financial support.

So, you see, even though we are far away physically from our friends in
Burma, there are still things we can do to support them!  If anyone has
additional ideas or resources to share, please feel free to email me or to
email the list directly.  To send a message to the list, simply address it
to dharmaclass-announcements at haianpagoda.org .