[Buddha-l] Religious, But Not Spiritual

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Sep 27 13:19:47 MDT 2007

On Wednesday 26 September 2007 20:00, curt wrote:

> America is probably the only place on earth where someone like Wilbur
> could be taken seriously as an intellectual.

I should think that wherever Ken Wilber happened to be, he would be taken
seriously as an intellectual by one person, namely, Mr Wilber himself.

Some time ago I tried to read Grit and Grace, which I expected to be a moving
story about a woman's struggle with what proved to be fatal breast cancer.
To some extent it was that, but it was also a testimonial to how much this
extraordinarily intelligent and thoughtful woman loved and admired her
husband, who she thought to be the greatest genius alive. She faced death
with courage, we are told, but lamented being separated from this incredible
paragon of insight wisdom. All this is told, of course, by the genius
himself, who manages to overcome all temptations to succumb to false
humility. (Such is the man's vanity that I have a hunch he might have a
marginal preference for those who had learned to spell his last name as he
spells it.)

A couple of years ago I had a student who was quite convinced that Wilber had
managed to put all of science and all of depth psychology and all the best of
religion together into a single comprehensive system of of such towering
genius that the only thing left for universities to do was to close their
libraries and just study Wilber's "Theory of Everything." The class was on
Zen Buddhism, and said student couldn't figure out whey I was having people
read Huineng, Linji, Dongshan, Dogen, Eisai and Chinul when we could have
been reading the one writer who had mastered Zen and put it all into clear
English. Being the testy sort of old fart that I am, I let all this
enthusiasm for Wilber try my patience, but when the class was over, the
student did give me a T-shirt that said University of New Mexico in Chinese
characters. I still wear it. He also gave me a CD of some lectures given by
Wilber. I've never listened to more than the opening couple of minutes of the
first selection.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy