[Buddha-l] Weekend break dept: re world's biggest party

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sun Sep 23 11:38:00 MDT 2007

Obligatory Buddhist content:

"We are to dance with the Tijuca school, and my costume is based on Oxala, a
male god of procreation and harvest. It consists of a white and silver
crown, a white dress with a hooped skirt and a dove (not live) on a wooden
stick that I shake in the air until its wings flap. We stop in a side street
to put the hoops in our skirts and spot hundreds of costumes and floats
sailing past, including a Buddhism-themed float, all vibrant red and gold,
then a surreal merry-go-round of giant zebras. All around us are dancing
fishes, bees, aliens, antelopes - creatures of every imaginable kind."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2007/sep/23/escape.riodejaneiro

(Confusion--carnaval doesn't happen until 3 days before Lent, in winter--so
why is The Guardian placing this article now? Oh well....)
Joanna

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
1:53 PM