[Buddha-l] Earliest Buddhist Customs and Liturgy

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Sep 19 10:24:50 MDT 2007

On Tuesday 18 September 2007 21:15, jkirk wrote:

> I'm wondering about the very earliest forms of Buddhist liturgy, things
> bhikkhus would have said and done during the life of the Buddha. Did they
> have standard forms of address? Were there ritual phrases of thanks, of
> greeting, of leave-taking? Had they developed rituals for funerals? For
> dhamma talks? For meals?

Joan Links wrote her PhD thesis on this topic in 1975 or so at University of
Toronto. She built upon work in the area done by her supervisor, Narain K.
Wagle. Dr Links read the entire Pali canon in search of forms of address and
discovered correlations between forms of address among monks and the social
status that they had had before becoming monks. (So much for early Buddhism
abandoning caste!) I believe she also covered many of the other topics you
inquire about.

I'd guess you could find the exact title of her thesis by going to the
University of Toronto on-line catalog. A copy would also be available in the
national archive in Ottawa.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy