[Buddha-l] Earliest Buddhist Customs and Liturgy

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 18 15:49:04 MDT 2007

Hi all,

I'm wondering about the very earliest forms of Buddhist liturgy, things
bhikkhus would have said and done during the life of the Buddha. Did
they have standard forms of address? Were there ritual phrases of
thanks, of greeting, of leave-taking? Had they developed rituals for
funerals? For dhamma talks? For meals?

To answer my own questions, of course even the earliest sangha had
developed such forms. The real question is have scholars conjectured
about what they *were*? Has anyone written about this? (Perhaps my best
sources so far are from good ol' Access to Insight:
<http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/khantipalo/
wheel083.html#dai> Bhikkhu Khantipalo's description of a wondering
bhikkhu's life, and
<http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/kariyawasam/wheel402.html>
A.G.S. Kariyawasam's survey of Buddhist rituals in Sri Lanka.)

I'm working on a book that will have need of many examples of early
words and actions, so I thank you all for any leads you give me for
finding them. It's a bit shocking to me that my googling has not
resulted in turning up anything more useful than the above, thus far.
Have these matters been entirely neglected in Buddhist studies?

Much obliged,

Franz