[Buddha-l] Re: Gog and Magog

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Sep 18 10:06:37 MDT 2007

On Mon Sep 17 22:57:19 MDT 2007, Dr Lusthaus said (with reference to my claim
that his reaction to Joanna Kirkpatrick's message was predictable):

> Predictable because every word was true and obvious.

There is an important distinction between something being obvious to impartial
observers and something to which a person is so committed as to be blind to
alternative explanations. There was nothing more obvious about what you said
in your reaction to Joanna than what Joanna said in the first place. The
issue is one on which there are different perspectives, each with its
legitimacy but neither without its shortcomings. To say that only your own
perspective has legitimacy in this matter is as tragic as it is ludicrous.

> And no less
> predictable than you taking the tact of offering a pseudo-refutation by
> impugning something about me the person rather than addressing the merits
> of the statements.

I see you are still struggling to understand what ad hominem argumentation
consists in. As I understand it, ad hominem argumentation consists in evading
the substance of a claim by attacking the character of the person making it.
There was nothing in what I said that that was in any way an attempt to
impugn your character. Indeed, the only thing I said was that your reaction
to Joanna was predictable and came a little later than I thought it would. It
left my computer as a friendly and affectionate roast. Somehow along the way
it seems to have been transformed so dramatically that it arrived in your
mailbox as a failed attempt at character assassination. Such are the hazards
of electronic communication.

> As for Buddhist content, I consider every act of correcting
> mithyaa-d.r.s.ti an expression of Buddhism.

If you were indeed correcting mithyaa-d.r.s.ti, I would agree that you were
doing something admirably Buddhistic. But what you were doing in this case
was to accuse a view of being false and simply acclaiming that your view was
true by offering "evidence" that is every bit as biased as the conclusion it
was meant to support. You were trading in views no less than the person to
whom you were responding. From your perspective, her view seemed false, but
from her perspective yours seems just as false. Simply to stipulate that
someone else's views are false is hardly an instance of becoming disentangled
from views. And as I understand the texts I have read, it is complete
disentanglement from all views that is the Buddhist project. (You might want
to review the last chapter of Naagaarjuna's MMK. But beware of the many
fallacious arguments he uses in defending his conclusions.)

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy