[Buddha-l] Buddhism and AA

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Sep 11 14:00:01 MDT 2007

On Tuesday 11 September 2007 13:46, jkirk wrote:

> Bet he was converted while serving his sentence in prison.

I think not. The person in question has a Japanese surname. I'd guess he was
probably brought up at least nominally Buddhist.

> It might be interesting to see statistics on the percentage of pre-prison
> Buddhists in jail or prison in, say, 2006. I suspect it would be very low.

Given that something like one half of one percent of the American population
is Buddhist, I'd hope the percentage of Buddhists in prisons is pretty low.
I'd guess the percentage of potential members of AA might be somewhat higher.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy