[Buddha-l] Buddhism and AA

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Tue Sep 11 13:02:51 MDT 2007

I have a good friend who does AA and who has attended Buddhist
twelve-step retreats and goes to a weekly Buddhist AA "meeting" -
although he is not actually a Buddhist.

It seems perfectly reasonable to require that people who commit crimes
while "under the influence" get some kind of effective
counseling/treatment. It is highly preferable, obviously, to make that
kind of thing available prior to the legal process getting involved,
though. There are lots of treatment options that are not "religious" -
although many rehab clinics and programs (including the excellent and
pricey one my friend spent three months in when he first got sober) are
strongly oriented to AA.

The case in question, it should be noted, involved not just any AA
program, but one being run directly by the Salvation Army (
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/08/BA99S1AKQ.DTL ).

Curt Steinmetz