[Buddha-l] on the South Korean hostages

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 6 04:15:07 MDT 2007

Thanks, Lance. The figures for Buddhists and Protestants are close to what
the article stated -- though quite a discrepancy on the figure for Roman
Catholics (5+ million vs. 2.9 million). Your caveat about the fact-gathering
methodology noted. What are also not included -- for obvious reasons -- are
the numbers of Korean religionists abroad. I don't know about in UK, but the
number of Korean churches in the US is staggering, and most are large and
prospering. While I have no figures to support this, my impression just from
traveling around the US is that the Korean church to Buddhist temple ratio
is vastly disproportionate in favor of the former.

Dan