[Buddha-l] Medicine, Efficient Cause and Philosophy

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Mon Sep 3 01:48:11 MDT 2007

Alex Wilding schreef:
> Katherine Masis
>
>> successful clinical trials should be sufficient to
>> afford homeopathy the respectability it deserves.
>>
> Is there a consensus that rigorous clinical trials have actually found an
> "above placebo" benefit from hopeopathy? I didn't know that.

No. It's also necessary to distinguish phytotherapy (healing by means of
herbs), antroposophical medicine ( with huge dilutions op to 1 on 10^16)
and homeopathy (healing by evoking the bodyresistance through diluted
poison). Phytotherapy is accepted, some plants can heal even though
nobody knows exactly how. Despite many experiments however no valid
proof has been found that homeopathy or antroposophical medicine works.
Most homeopathy in India has been introduced by the theosophists and has
nothing to do with ayurveda, despite the claims. Since there's hardly
any control of any healthservice in India there are a lot of doubtfull
healing methods.

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950