[Buddha-l] Re: Aama do.sa I

Joy Vriens jvriens at free.fr
Sat Sep 1 11:02:34 MDT 2007

Dan,

>One of the lessons of cross-cultural studies is that all cultures -- while
>sharing certain similarities -- are not the same, and that differences
>emerge simply by shifting the influence of certain variables. One important
>difference between Indian culture and European culture -- which needs to be
>taken into consideration when projecting analogies back and forth -- is that
>contrary to the totalitarian function exercised by the Catholic church (with
>fluxuating success over the centuries), India has been, since vedic days,
>pluralistic. No pope. A certain religious tradition may temporarily win
>favor in some region, and may try to suppress opposing groups, but these
>remain local and variable. That doesn't mean India should be imagined as an
>idyllic ecumenical uptopia at all times and places, but it does mean that
>the tendency in India was to have rival schools of thought settle or engage
>their differences in the field of debate (an ethos to which CS
>enthusiastically subscribes), rather than scouring every nook and cranny to
>root out and exterminate heretics and deviants.
>
>This simple difference has profound repercussions throughout Indian culture.
>One of the most undeveloped forms of philosophy in India, as compared to
>Europe, Islamic and Chinese culture, is the virtual absence of "political"
>philosophy (some exceptions such as Kautilya's Artha-sastra aside). Where
>one does find political critique is, often satirically, in Sanskrit drama.
>This probably reflects a pragmatic turn amongst Indian philosophers -- they
>could openly and aggressively debate the most important and precious
>components of their doctrines, with the king or ruler as moderator, without
>the ruler suspecting sedition was afoot. Hence faith and obedience emerge as
>major tools of social control theologically reinforced, while the Indian
>consensus was that rational debate and epistemology (pramana, etc.) are the
>sine qua non of any legitimate religious tradition.

Yes, but still it was very much a struggle for power. When reading bits here and there I don't have the impression that each party put their arguments foreward and simply accepted the king's decision sticking to their arguments. If one party scored a point and got the king's support, the others would adopt/adapt the arguments of their opponents. Very much like in our time when one manufacturer has a succesful product, other manufacturers will follow and imitate it to share in its market success. So the arguments were a means to something else.

>"If the only method of healing he put forward was the "scientific" one based
>on pramana, then wouldn't that be considered as an implicit attack on the
>people or entities to which healing power was attributed?"

>Caraka-samhita attributes its own ultimate authorship (aka inspiration) to
>Siva, so no conflict of interests. The opposition between science and
>religion is largely a Western phenomenon, especially since science in the
>15th-16th centuries overturned rather than confirmed church dogma. It was at
>that point that faith was taken to be more important than knowledge (the
>Church, up to that point, considered the two commensurate -- even current
>catechisms still vestigially extol the value of logic and knowledge
>alongside faith). Unfortunately, whatever else Luther rejected from the
>Church, he turned faith into an even greater foundation, made it individual
>instead of communal, and engendered the proliferation of alternate faith
>communities, each thinking only its own faith was true or at least truer
>than the others (prominent American evangelicals have said the Pope will go
>to hell; the current pope has gently suggested more or less the same about
>the evangelicals). Faith never played that kind of role in Indian
>traditions, and it was always subordinate to knowledge, logical debate and
>reasoning.

And yet faith, a certain type of faith (that would need to be further defined, probably along the lines of surrender or trustful acceptance), has its importance. I am starting to think it is the major factor of the Chan-like approach of Gampopa and Zhang's Mahamudra and of early Chan. Ordinary mind is the Buddha. That theory can only be turned into practice through a certain form of faith. I can't see any other way. When reading some parts of Luther, I get the impression he definitely was onto something, but failed to communicate it and perhaps lost himself (in a pejorative sense) in his success.

>One of my teachers, an Indian, when asked by a student what he would say if
>he met Jesus, indicated he would ask a question: "Sir, what are your
>arguments?"

:-) On the other hand, what more arguments (e.g. for resurrection) would he need if he really did meet Jesus? ;-)

Joy