[Buddha-l] Heart of the matter? (was: the advent of themeditationmachine?)

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue Oct 30 09:41:45 MDT 2007

Yes, well, I was referring to non-text lit., as in popular Buddhist writings
as found on the web, Baul songs, and Sufi writings, referring to terms in
Hindi and Bangla. I should have been clear that I wasn't alluding to
Sanskrit or Pali texts.
Joanna
=========================

Quothe Joanna:

> And then there's also the fact that often in Buddhist texts 'mind'
> (man) is translated into English and other languages by 'heart', and
> vice versa! Also in Indian texts as well.

Not quite. The Sanskrit term "manas" (Pali "mano") is almost always
translated as "mind." I have never seen it translated by "heart". The term
usually mistranslated as "heart" is "h.rdaya/hadaya," which in Abhidharma is
considered the physical location of the manas. It should, therefore, be
translated as "brain."

--
Richard Hayes
http://dayamati.blogspot.com (Catch my latest diatribe on the idiotic term