[Buddha-l] Heart of the matter?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Oct 29 10:57:22 MDT 2007

Christopher Fynn wrote:

> Tibetans locate the "body" centre in the head / brain; the speech
> centre at the throat; and the "mind" centre at the heart.

Tibetans also generally buy into the whole idea of a "subtle body". I
think that's where the "chakras" are "located". If you do a google
search on " 'subtle body' tibetan buddhism" you get lots of hits:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=%22subtle+body%22+tibetan+buddhism&btnG=Google+Search

The very first of those hits is an interesting article on "Extra-bodily
States in Buddhism":
http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/archives/approaching_buddhism/introduction/extra_bodily_states.html

The Summary of that article states matter-of-factly:

"In summary, if, without meditation practice and specific training, one
has an uncontrolled extra-bodily experience, one should not treat it
lightly or as an amusing curiosity. The cause may be any of the above
explanations, a combination of factors, or something else entirely.
Regardless of the cause, should someone be startled while his or her
consciousness is outside the physical body, it is very easy for the
connection between the two to be severed. Buddhist literature records
many cases of such deaths. Therefore, it is extremely important not to
experiment on one’s own with extra-bodily states. However, with proper
guidance, a good motivation, and intense meditation practice, such
states may be harnessed to expand one’s potentials for helping others
and oneself to the benefit of all."

I would really like to have one of those "extra bodies"!

Curt Steinmetz