[Buddha-l] Heart of the matter? (was: the advent of themeditation machine?)

Vera, Pedro L. pvera at health.usf.edu
Mon Oct 29 10:41:55 MDT 2007

Richard writes:

>So my candidate for the principal physical location of the religious
>impulse is the adrenal glands.

That's fine. However, secretion of the adrenal gland hormones (epinephrine, norepinephrine) which gives the increasing heart-rate, increased blood-pressure and the other things you referred to as being associated with "feeling in the heart", is due to activation of the sympathetic nervous system, which in turn is controlled by the brain. So, it seems we are still dealing with the brain.

Best regards,

Pedro