[Buddha-l] Re: Emptiness

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Wed Oct 24 12:19:08 MDT 2007

On Wednesday 24 October 2007 11:55, Mr Michael A. La Torra wrote:

> I am merely a practitioner, not a philosopher. While I rather enjoy
> plunging through the "thicket of views" on this list, I find very few
> views that I wholly reject or wholly accept. I simply plunge onward.

That is precisely what makes you a philosopher. You may also be a practitioner
of other things, but if you truly plunge through the thicket of views and
admire the bugs but refrain from taking any home with you, then you also
practice philosophy.

>  "When did you first notice the obvious?"

According to family legend, those were my very first words. I was six months
old. My father came in to check my crib, and he said "Holy cow! There's shit
all over everything." What else could I say in response but my first
sentence? (To tell the truth, I was pleased that he was calling attention to
my emptiness, achieved at the expense of a slightly messy crib.)

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy