[Buddha-l] Re: Emptiness

Joy Vriens jvriens at free.fr
Tue Oct 23 23:36:44 MDT 2007

Richard,
>Given that there are physicalists in our day and age, and given
>that the best of Buddhist practice should be able to work within the
>framework of almost any theory, I find it interesting to think about how one
>might present a physicalist Buddhist theory as a basis for productive
>practice.

I disagree. I think no physicalist or idealist theory is necessary as a basis for productive practice. I know planet earth is a globe, yet in my every day experience it is flat. I know I am mortal and that there may or may not be an end to my awareness, in the meantime I am immortal and my awareness eternal, until proof of the opposite and the day that proof is produced I am afraid I won't be there to acknowledge it. While riding on my bike I can remind myself continuously of the roundness of the earth, it doesn't change much to my expereince of it and to the way I ride my bike. In the same way I don't see how my physicalism or idealism can make a difference in the way I deal with my anger, greed etc. It could be an add-on, but certainly not the basis. It's not a hindrance to productive practice if one can leave it in the back of one's mind/brain or whatever where it belongs.

Joy