[Buddha-l] Re: Emptiness

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Oct 23 18:23:04 MDT 2007

On Tuesday 23 October 2007 17:43, Dante Rosati wrote:

> "mind" and "body" are both designations. there must be something prior
> to them that is able to designate both from a position that is
> neither.

Why?

> so what is it that is prior to all designation?

Prior in what sense? Logically prior or temporally prior? It is not obvious to
me that anything need be either logically or temporally prior to designation.
And if something does happen to be prior, it can be that which is
designated "body" or that which is designated "mind."  There is no reason to
prefer one over the other.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy