[Buddha-l] the true authority on meanings

Vera, Pedro L. pvera at health.usf.edu
Mon Oct 22 11:10:16 MDT 2007

Joanna wrote:

>Judging by how recent editions of dictionaries are rapidly changing, adding
in tons of new words and slang, it would seem that vox populi is the master.

>I wonder when Buddha will end up being spelled Booda.

It's interesting that you bring up Latin in the context of language, an English language, in particular.

I blame all the vagaries of English spelling on the fact that the barbarian hordes of Anglos, Saxons and Jutes that overcame the rightfully Roman province of Britannia could not spell worth a dang! Had the Romans prevailed against the barbarians, we would have had some Romance version of English (or Ingles),  I suppose, will full-phonetic spelling.

As it stands, this particular tradition is hard to overcome or eradicate, so I think you will have to wait a long time before Buddha is rightfully spelled:  Buda. Unless, some version of Buddha in texting becomes popular first, maybe B-D?

Fonetically yours,

Pedro (or, if you prefer, how an old professor used to pronounce it: Pee - druh. Now, that's barbarian spelling again!)