[Buddha-l] the true authority on meanings

Michael Essex mgessex at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 21 21:22:23 MDT 2007

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone,' it
means just what I choose it to mean, neither more nor less.'
'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many
different things.'

'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master - that's
all.'

(from a long term lurker on this list.)
Mike Essex

Piya wrote:

  >This is the well known debate as regards who defines the words we
use:
>the dictionary or the speaker.

Montaigne said that words are defined for half by the one speaking and
for half by the one hearing them. No rules will change that reality.
Appealing to dictionaries, conventions or other expressions of
authority is a different matter. They dont apply to what happens but to
what ought to happen or is conventionally expected to happen.

Joy