[Buddha-l] karma or kamma

Joy Vriens jvriens at free.fr
Sun Oct 21 02:13:52 MDT 2007

Piya,

>Dictionaries are the epitaphs of a language. Poets try to give new senses to
>words.
>Philosophers try to confuse us with them. The still-minded meditator tries
>to set
>them free.

"We are floating in a medium of a vast extent, always drifting uncertainly, blown to and fro; whenever we
think we have a fixed point to which we can cling and make fast, it shifts and leaves us behind; if we follow
it, it eludes our grasp, slips away, and flees eternally before us. Nothing stands still for us. This is our
natural state and yet the state most contrary to our inclinations. We burn with desire to find a firm footing,
an ultimate, lasting base on which to build a tower rising up to infinity, but our whole foundation cracks
and the earth opens up into the depth of the abyss."
—Pascal, Pensées, fragment 199/72