[Buddha-l] mogha, moha, mughda

Joy Vriens jvriens at free.fr
Sat Oct 20 06:23:18 MDT 2007

Dan,

Thanks for the research and analysis, the Vedic meanings are interesting and some of them would even more or less fit in with Pya's "hollow man".

>Now, going with the drama of the sutta, one could say that doing so is part
>of the lesson, since Sati has claimed that his theory is the Buddha's own
>teaching, and Buddha asks him at the beginning "To whom have you ever heard
>me say that?" So by making him sit there and observe an ACTUAL teaching
>situation, he is provided with a more accurate model. And one could even
>argue that such chastisement is an effective, or even necessary antidote to
>Sati's clinging to his interpretation. Whether such pedagogy is infallible
>or sometimes counterproductive is a legitimate question, but even putting
>that aside, it still remains hard to deny that Buddha is using chastisement
>and a form of name-calling (moghapurisa) to make his point. (As I mentioned
>to Joy, I don't take "son of a fisherman" as a put-down).

I agree with Margaret, Lance and you that "son of a fisherman" is not a put-down in itself, but in combination with the joke of being entangled in a net, it is not innocent either. I consider it equivalent to making a joke with someone's name. Sati is a bikkhu like any other bikkhu and has given up his social obligations. Perhaps he even never worked as a fisherman himself. Yet the Buddha comes up with the exemple of being ensnared in a net. If we consider that a witty and clever and perhaps even funny remark and congratulate the Buddha for his esprit, then we also have to recognise that it is witty and funny, because Sati is a fisherman's son...

Joy