[Buddha-l] Re: buddha-l Digest, Vol 32, Issue 17

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Oct 18 11:07:08 MDT 2007

Richard,

>This is only part of the story. Ahmadinejad has also said that he
>thinks Israel should be given space in Europe. That seems a very
>reasonable suggestion to me, given that most Jews are Europeans.

The last time I saw figures Jews originating from Muslim countries were the
majority in Israel.

Lance Cousins

That may be the case, but a while back media reported that despite Israeli
invitations to Iranian Jews to move to Israel, they refused.

Iranian Jews refuse cash 'bribe' to move to Israel
http://www.jerusalemites.org/News%20In%20English/english/2007/July/17.htm

IMEMC

"In Iran today, the country’s Jewish minority unanimously rejected cash
offers from supporters of the state of Israel to leave Iran and move to
Israel.

 The Israeli government promised to provide a package of housing and jobs
for the twenty-five-thousand Iranian Jews.  A special fund created by Israel
supporters promised a ten-thousand-dollar cash award for any Iranian Jew who
moved to Israel.

The Society of Iranian Jews dismissed this move as a bribe. Iran's sole
Jewish member of parliament, Morris Motamed, said the offer was insulting to
Jewish Iranians.

Instead of taking the pro-Israel group up on its offer, the community of
Iranian Jews instead took a loyalty pledge to their home country of Iran.

Iran's Jewish population has dwindled from around eighty-thousand at the
time of the 1979 Islamic revolution.  But, it remains the largest of any
Middle Eastern country apart from Israel. Jews have lived in Iran since at
least 700 B-C."

Joanna K.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9:54 AM