[Buddha-l] Props for Bush

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 17 11:35:12 MDT 2007

Gang,

It is so rare that I can read a statement by President Bush and not
cringe, I just had to forward his recent words on HHDL. Plus, it's a
refreshing change of pace to give the prez some props here on buddha-l.
The following is the first half of an article appearing at
http://www.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idUSN1729149020071017

With a surprising amount of metta,

Franz

=====

Bush urges China to meet with the Dalai Lama
Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:42am EDT

By Paul Eckert, Asia Correspondent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President George W. Bush defended on Wednesday
his plan to appear at an award ceremony for the Dalai Lama in the face
of Chinese objections and urged Beijing to open talks with the exiled
Tibetan spiritual leader China views as a separatist.

The Dalai Lama is set to receive the Congressional Gold Medal, the
country's highest civilian honor, by the U.S. Congress in an award
China angrily denounced as a "farce" that would hurt relations between
Beijing and Washington.

Bush, who will attend the ceremony on Capitol Hill in the first public
appearance by a U.S. president with the Dalai Lama, said he was going
because he supported religious freedom and admired the Tibetan monk and
Nobel Peace Prize laureate.

"I have consistently told the Chinese that religious freedom is in
their nation's interest," he told a news conference hours before the
ceremony.

"I've also told them that I think it's in their interest to meet with
the Dalai Lama and will say so at the ceremony today in Congress," he
said.

"If they were to sit down with the Dalai Lama, they would find him to
be a man of peace and reconciliation," Bush added.

A smiling Dalai Lama emerged from his White House meeting with Bush on
Tuesday and shrugged off the Chinese criticism, telling reporters:
"That always happens."