[Buddha-l] the advent of the meditation machine?

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Oct 16 12:51:57 MDT 2007

On Thursday 11 October 2007 07:14, curt wrote:

> Reductionism is not something that I invented for the purpose of this
> argument.

No one suggested that you had invented reductionism. But you did not answer my
question, which was an invitation to you to specify just which reductionists
you are targeting. Surely reductionism is at the heart of most Buddhist
philosophy. The "non-self" dogma is one of the biggest reductionist gambits
in the history of human thought. So is it reductionism per se that you are
targeting, or are there some reductionists of you you approve and others whom
you contemn? If the latter, why do you applaud some and disdain others?

> That reductionists prevaricate when the going gets tough is
> also nothing new.

Surely reductionists have no monopoly on tergiversation. Pretty much everyone
shuffles the deck when they see the cards in their hand are not likely to
win.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy