[Buddha-l] Zizek: expert on Buddhism and what "we" think

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Oct 11 18:47:27 MDT 2007

Curt Steinmetz wrote:
I am sure that you are right about the greater complexity. But if we want to
talk about "theocracy" the bar has been set pretty high by Christians and
Muslims. I am aware, for example, that many Tibetan Monasteries maintained
their own units of "fighting monks", and that failure to pay proper respect
to religious notables could result in death, and so forth. But was there
ever anything like putting people to death for disagreements over abstruse
theological issues (such as the Trinity or Creation Ex Nihilo)?
=============
               Not to death, maybe, but imprisoned, yes. They did this in
the 20th c. for ex. to
	Gendun Chophel (1903-1951) when he published commentary contrary to
	Gelugpa doctrine. (See _The Madman's Middle Way_... by Donald Lopez,
Jr.).
	Earlier era monastic rulers were not above torture and slow death
for
	people deemed to be heretical or in opposition to the monastic
feudalities.

I never found anything that claimed that Tibetans went on pogroms against
people of other religions, though. Perhaps someone more acquainted with
Tibetan history could add to this?

Joanna K.