[Buddha-l] The DVR as a Kalyānamitta

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 10 15:09:41 MDT 2007

Dear Richard,

On Oct 10, 2007, at 1:21 PM, Richard Hayes wrote:

> Like my father, I talk a good game of stoic dispassion, but my house
> is full
> of broken cups and cats cowering under chairs. I must stop watching the
> evening news on television. Just about every story I see reminds me
> that
> PEOPLE ARE TOO GODDAMN EMOTIONAL!

Oh dear, you aren't still watching the president, are you? I gave that
up about three years ago and have never regretted it. I realized
watching him was simply an akusala action on my part: it watered the
roots of anger, hatred, and so on. Buddha knows I still have plenty
other avenues for that, but cutting out this one was a good start.

If you insist on watching the news, you really need to get a DVR
(digital video recorder, the machine that comes with satellite TV but
can be acquired independently) so that you can record the entire thing
but skip over the sections that excite your kilesas. Perhaps this
sounds flip, but I really mean it: DVRs are wondrous devices permitting
us to enjoy "free" broadcast television without the unfortunate
corollaries of commercials (encouraging the avijjā that material
commodities can provide happiness) and politicians (encouraging the
avijjā that governments [even progressive (and thus anti-American)
ones] can provide happiness).

Franz