[Buddha-l] the advent of the meditation machine?

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Oct 8 09:23:33 MDT 2007

The idea that the "roots of religious feelings" are to be found in the
brain can only be supported by circular logic.

Only once one has already assumed that those "roots" lie in the brain
can one find them there. If one first asks for evidence that "religion"
lies in the brain (or more generally in "biology") - no such evidence
exists  (outside of circular logic land).

A simple example will help to clarify. If I beat someone with a baseball
bat while that person's brain is hooked up to electrodes, there will be
a clear, reproducible "neural correlation" of this event. But this in no
way proves the "non-existence" of baseball bats qua baseball bats - ie,
that the "origins" or baseball bats are "only" in our brains.

- Curt