[Buddha-l] Our correspondent on irreversible changes in Burma

Weng-Fai Wong wongwf at comp.nus.edu.sg
Mon Oct 1 03:17:12 MDT 2007

Sorry but I fail to see how shouting in the streets in the comfort of one's
country can help the Myanmanese. The truth is that there is little leverage
one has over the junta that doesn't even blink as they slaughter their own
people (or any foreigners who got in the way) live on TVs across the world.
Sanctions don't work. Case in point - Cuba and North Korea. Kim Jong Il
(according to reports) has no problem getting his high end wines and cognac
while his people starve to death and struggle under international sanctions.
More international "help" can be used by the junta to justify further clamp
down under the excuse of protecting the country against foreign
manipulation.

While I am all for keeping the clamp on the junta, I think the situation
probably will turn for the worse before it can get better. As illustrated by
the popular uprising against Marcos (Philipines) and Soeharto (Indonesia),
it will take internal strife in the junta plus the concerted effort of the
population within the country, for real change to happen.

W.F. Wong