[Buddha-l] Loving your object of study

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Nov 22 19:26:29 MST 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 14:10 -0500, curt wrote:

> I think it's good to have positive examples/role-models. I would suggest
> the Korean scholar/sage Chinul as one in this regard.

If I had to pick just one teacher from the past who inspires me and
serves as a personal role model, it would be Chinul. (He is also one of
Stephen Batchelor's heroes.)

> Robert Buswell's excellent book "Tracing Back the Radiance" has a lot of
> biographical info on Chinul.

Now that I think more about it, I'm not so sure Chinul is my hero.
Perhaps Buswell is. After all, everything I know about Chinul I've
learned from listening to Buswell talk and reading his translations. He
ranks right up there with Batchelor as one of the most gentle and
thoughtful people I have had the pleasure of listening to. In any case,
Buswell's "Tracing Back the Radiance" is consistently on the list of
required readings in my Buddhist philosophy classes.

--
Richard Hayes