[Buddha-l] Bangladesh, Hill People, Chakmas, Buddhism

John Whalen-Bridge ellwbj at nus.edu.sg
Thu Nov 22 16:51:42 MST 2007

When I visited Chittagong in 2000, I had the opportunity to visit an area where some hill tribe people lived.  The dam that created a beautiful lake for sake of hydroelectric power had displaced most of them and the Raja--only king I've had the pleasure to meet--was at a loss about what to do.  Hoping for ecotourism.  I also visited a Buddhist temple in the city of Chittagong and saw a lovely "sky-offering" ceremony in which those tissue kite-bags with candles in them were set aloft.  "Yes, one or two houses burn down each year."    One of the gentlemen mentioned the strong urine smell at the wall around te temple.  He said cab drivers liked to stop and piss on temple grounds.  Tough row to hoe.

Whalen-Bridge @ English Language and Literature
National University of Singapore
7 Arts Link, Blk AS5 Singapore 117570
(Also @ http://courses.nus.edu.sg/course/ellwbj/jwb/ <http://courses.nus.edu.sg/course/ellwbj/jwb/> )