[Buddha-l] Re: Loving your object of study

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 19 13:36:56 MST 2007

Richard Hayes wrote:

  "What I was trying to say, and no doubt said rather awkwardly, was that  anyone who sees Buddhist doctrine as uniquely in possession of truth, or who sees Buddhist practice as uniquely or supremely effective in helping people  cope with their suffering, is in love with Buddhism."

  OK, Richard, that clears up what "l'enamorament" was all about.  Since I had just read Charles Muller's and your respective online papers, I immediately jumped to the conclusion that the being-in-love meant some kind of "practice."   I left "practice" undefined.  Instead of "practice," I should have said "affiliation" which is a much broader term and, for me at least, does *not* necessarily entail being a member of a group or institution.

  What Bob said about the scholarship itself being the practice makes sense.  Jack asked if there are any suttas which support the gnani path; I ask this question as well.

  Katherine