[Buddha-l] Loving your object of study

Richard P Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Nov 19 12:31:03 MST 2007

Jackhat1 at aol.com wrote:

>In a message dated 11/19/2007 12:17:53 P.M. Central Standard Time,
>rhayes at unm.edu writes:
>
>> Is  there anything in the suttas that support the gnani  path?
>
>Yes.
>
>Cute. Where?

Sorry about that. I hit the SEND icon by mistake; it is located right
next to the CANCEL icon on my e-mail interface. I do have a passage in
the Anguttara-nikaya that supports something very much like the j~naani
path, but the book is in my office on campus, and I am working at home
today. When I can locate the exact passage, I'll send the reference.

The context of the passage I have in mind is a dispute between three
monks. One claims that to attain nibbana it is necessary to practice
jhaana; another says it is sufficient to have an intellectual
understanding; a third says it is possible to attain nibbana by serving
the Tathagata. The three monks go to the Buddha to settle their
dispute, and he says that one can achieve liberation by ANY of those
three methods. Latter commentarial tradition identified the second
method in language that sounds a lot like the language used in
Brahmanical tradition to describe j~naana-yoga. The third method,
liberation through service, is described in ways that make it sound
very much like a counterpart to bhakti-yoga or karma-yoga, or perhaps a
combination of the two.

Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy
University of New Mexico