[Buddha-l] Loving your object of study

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Nov 19 10:50:19 MST 2007

On Saturday 17 November 2007 22:56, Katherine Masis wrote:

> it strikes me as odd that
> Buddhologists would have little interest in Buddhist practice.

I would find it odd if a person who promoted the practice of murder, theft,
sexual promiscuity, lying and intoxication would take an interest in
Buddhism. But I can easily imagine, say, a devout Muslim or Anglican or
Baptist, dedicated to promoting kindness and love, being very interested in
studying Buddhism. In fact, I don't even have to imagine it. I have actually
seen it! If we take a page from the book of the Catholic theologian Rahner,
who said that anyone who strives to live a wholesome, productive,
compassionate life is ipso facto an anonymous Christian, we could equally say
that anyone dedicated to such things is also an anonymous Buddhist. Anyone
who follows the precepts and has any kind of contemplative practice at all
is, I would argue, someone who has an interest in what Buddhists call
Buddhist practice, although they may prefer to put some other label on the
practice.

What I was trying to say, and no doubt said rather awkwardly, was that anyone
who sees Buddhist doctrine as uniquely in possession of truth, or who sees
Buddhist practice as uniquely or supremely effective in helping people cope
with their suffering, is in love with Buddhism. Such a person is like the
unfortunate person who thinks that another human being is the only sentient
being capable of making him or her happy. Such a person is said to be in
love. And being in love in this way is an obstacle to seeing things clearly.
Indeed, being in love in this way is an obstacle to practicing the kind of
love that Buddhists, Christians, Jews, Muslims, Hindus, Sikhs, Mohists and
even some psychoanalysts endorse.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy