[Buddha-l] RE: First ever foreigner to become monk in China?

Alberto Todeschini at8u at virginia.edu
Sat Nov 17 11:17:51 MST 2007

From: Kirkpatrick [jkirk at spro.net]

Several foreign (e.g., not Chinese) women renouncers--from Thailand and
other areas,
have gone to China earlier on to be ordained in a Buddhist tradition, since
the bhikkhuni tradition
had been lost in Sri Lanka, Burma, and Thailand.

Hi Joanna,

That's right! I had completely forgotten about that. So I wonder why all
the fuss. Allegedly, the article was right on the cover of the China
Daily. Perhaps a male westerner's conversion and ordination makes a good
story. Obviously, China Daily didn't try very hard to check their story
for accuracy, or simply chose to disregard the ordinations you mention.

Regards,

Alberto Todeschini