[Buddha-l] Western Buddhism and devotion

Bob Zeuschner rbzeuschner at roadrunner.com
Fri Nov 16 01:13:13 MST 2007

I can't speak for others, but there are supposed to be at least four
ways of being religious.
One is devotion to deities. I can't find an ounce of _bhakti_ anywhere
in my own nature; if anything, I push it away (not good for a Buddhist).
Another way to be religious is to enjoy religious rituals. I find them
uninteresting and of little personal value.
Another way is meditative; I find some value in _dhyana_.
Another way is to use one's rational mind, one's ability to think
carefully and critically, which is how I understand _jnana_ or _prajna_,
and seems to be the only way that I can participate in religion.
For this reason, I find myself unable to inculcate devotional or ritual
Buddhism in my children, for personally I find myself unable to relate
to these other _marga_.
Bob
Dept. of Philosophy