[Buddha-l] Western Buddhism

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Nov 15 13:59:17 MST 2007

On Wednesday 14 November 2007 19:52, Richard Hayes wrote:

> When my children were young, I took every precaution
> to conceal from them that I was a Buddhist.

I forgot to add that both of my offspring discovered Buddhist meditation as
adults. They both do vipassana seriously, and talk about most things in ways
that sounds pretty Buddhist to my ear, and they occasionally read books by
Pema Chodron and Thich Nhat Hanh, but neither one of them has acquired any of
the quaint affectations that often accompany Buddhism, such as bowing,
shaving the head, or eating kimchi.

So now we are back to the question: who gets to say whether or not someone is
a Buddhist? By my lights, my offspring are Buddhist in every way that really
matters. They certainly do not claim to be Buddhist, and probably no Japanese
priest would recognize them as Buddhist. If I get to say, I'd say I brought
them up Buddhist and that they still are. If the Japanese priests gets to
take the census, then I did not raise my children as Buddhists and they never
have been, are not and probably never will be.

As is almost always the case when there is a disagreement between me and a
priest of any religion, I'm right.

--
Richard P. Hayes