[Buddha-l] Western Buddhism

Alex Wilding alex at chagchen.org
Thu Nov 15 03:04:15 MST 2007

Picking up from Dan's post...
Another question in my mind about the article revolves around the extent to
which its premisses (let's grant them some validity for the moment) are
based on an insight into the American situation specifically. That is all
that it claims to be, after all. My snapshot of Western Buddhist centres in
the British islands, Germany and in Australia has a good proportion of
younger people in it. Maybe I'm just getting so old that everyone else seems
young, but I don't think that's the explanation.
To my limited knowledge it's only in America that people dashed ahead in
significant numbers to conceive of an American Buddhism. We don't have large
followings for English, European or Australian Buddhisms. I suspect that in
the rest of the world we still feel connected to the traditions we are
learning from.
FWIW
Alex W