[Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Nov 7 16:39:03 MST 2007

Richard Hayes wrote:

> You'll note that I have never
> denied that there is such a thing as religious persecution.

OK - but only if you'll note that I never said you never denied there
was such a thing as religious persecution.

> I have noted that
> there is narrow-mindedness and cruelty, and I take it that religious
> persecution is an example of those mental states. I have also claimed that no
> group has a monopoly on those states, and no group is immune from them.

In fact, most religions are "immune" from "extirpation".

> I see nothing to be gained in characterizing Christianity or any of the other
> Abrahamic traditions as being systematically and generally intolerant or
> prone to cruelty.

What it if it happens to be true? "I see nothing to be gained". Pish
posh. You *do* see something to be gained from casting *all religions*
as intolerant and cruel - you and Sam Harris and Stephen Batchelor. The
problem with that position is that it happens to be false - whereas when
the phrase "all religions" is replaced by two religions in particular
(and only those two) the statement becomes true.

> It is not an accurate portrayal of the Abrahamic religions
> as a whole, and if we are talking about isolated episodes, then it is no less
> true of any other tradition than it is of the Abrahamic religions.

Abraham, Shmabraham - leave him out of this. I am talking about
Christianity and Islam - and I am talking about them in terms of
history, not their internal mythology (ie, their claim to be somehow
"Abrahamic", that is "descended" from Judaism - a claim that is as
self-serving as it is baseless).

> It would appear that Sam Harris, for whom you seem to have special contempt,
> has made quite an impact on your thinking after all. The last time I read
> such wholesale slandering of theistic religions (some place other than here
> on buddha-l from time to time) was in his books and on his website.

I have nothing at all against "theistic" religions - my three favorite
religions all have scads of Gods - Buddhism, Hinduism and Paganism.
Buddhism especially. Why the Buddha couldn't even get himself
enlightened without dragging the Earth Goddess into it! What an old
Pagan he was.

Curt Steinmetz