[Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Tue Nov 6 16:12:15 MST 2007

On Tuesday 06 November 2007 14:22, Dan Lusthaus wrote:

> > Yes, that is the model to follow. I praise Bush every time he makes wise
>
> and
>
> > enlightened decisions and manifests compassion.
>
> My email server must have censored those posts. I never received them.

You obviously chose to ignore them, because my praise of Bush did not conform
to your preconceived notions of how I regard Bush.

> I prefer to read the Sutra on Fearless Nirvana. And not fiddle while Rome
> burns, in the name of a illusory nobility.

To think that Rome is burning is one of the most tragic beliefs of our time.
If people persist in believing it, it will eventually come true. Ever heard
of self-fulfilling prophecy? I can think of no better example than the
feverish panic people have over such fictitious entities as terrorists,
jihadis, Islamofacsists and other such spooks and hobgoblins of little minds.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy