[Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Tue Nov 6 08:29:24 MST 2007

Bill Kish wrote:
> Curt:
>
>> If anyone knows of any evidence for any survival of any
>> religions from Europe, North Africa or the Middle East
>> - other than Christianity, Islam and Judaism - that would
>> be another significant contribution to human knowledge.
>> There are hints and indications here and there - but
>> nothing that is definitive.
>
> What about the Yezidi religion ?  I believe it still exists
> amongst the Kurds.  See http://www.yezidi.org for more
> information (they used to have a site in English, but it
> doesn't seem to be available now).

<http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-9077880/Yazidi>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yazidi>
<http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/08/19/wiraq219.xml>

In Iraq there are also Yarsan, Mandaeans and several Assyrian Christian minorities
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarsan>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandeans>
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assyrian_Christians>
and some Bahais

According to
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/26/AR2007082601004.html>
Sixty years ago, Iraq also had a "flourishing Jewish population, a third of
Bagdhad"
<http://www.britannica.com/eb/article-232261/Iraq#63985.hook>:
"Jews formerly constituted a small but significant minority and were largely
concentrated in or around Baghdad, but, with the rise of Zionism, anti-Jewish
feelings became widespread. This tension eventually led to the massive Farhud
pogrom of June 1941. With the establishment of Israel in 1948, most Jews
emigrated there or elsewhere."

Seems like the situation for all these religious groups in Iraq has only got
even worse since the beginning of the Iraq war and the fall of Saddam.

Buddhist Content: - Here is something on Buddhism & Babylon...
<http://www.berzinarchives.com/web/en/archives/e-books/unpublished_manuscripts/historical_interaction/pt1/history_cultures_03.html>

- Chris