[Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 5 13:49:54 MST 2007

Richard et al.,

You reminisced,

>> Paying my taxes is indeed a beautiful, and
>> highly Buddhist, act.
>
> This was how I felt about paying taxes when I lived in Canada. I
> actually
> loved paying taxes....

Yes, I felt this way too, at least about local and provincial taxes in
British Columbia. Playing every day in Vancouver's lovely parks, taking
my two year old to the "West Side Family Centre" which was essentially
a preschool subsidized by the province, and biking through the parks
and the university's endowment lands brought home to me in the most
physical way the vital role of government in providing things
individuals simply cannot. Sadly, my time in Canada coincided with the
rise of its conservative government and its increasing rhetoric and
practice of international aggression, so I would not have been so
sanguine about paying federal taxes. In fact, there were articles in
the alternative press about how British Columbians could avoid paying
those taxes. I believe a similar situation exists in the United States.
Stan, is this so? Have you looked into it?

Perhaps we should treat governments as we treat family members. Each
one will do things we can't stand, but our job is not to reject them
for that, but rather to treat them with wisdom and compassion. If the
gigantic US federal government spends one billionth of its resources on
something we abhor (as Stan does abortions), then we should chastise it
and redirect it along other paths. Perhaps we can even withhold that
portion of our tax. But we cannot simply condemn the creature and walk
away.

Meanwhile, how should governments treat *us*? What is the
responsibility of leaders (and thus governments)? Here's one answer
from the--mandatory Buddhist content--Pali Canon: leaders need to
uphold frequent meetings, harmony in interaction of leaders, respect
for traditions and precedents, respect and active support for elders,
protection of the physical rights of women, respect and active support
for religious sites and practices, and respect and active support for
awakened ones. For these leaders and their countries," the furtherance
of their welfare and prosperity is to be expected, not their decline"
(from the Mahaparinibanna Sutta, Digha Nikaya 16).

I won't hold my breath,

Franz