[Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

curt curt at cola.iges.org
Mon Nov 5 12:05:20 MST 2007

Tim Bovee/Datni LLC wrote:

> Requiring "face the planet" as the field of action pretty much limits things
> to Western Christianity sometime after 1600, no? Only the Europeans
> developed global reach.

The Christians and Muslims both managed to wipe religions off the face
of the planet well before 1600. In particular they wiped out *all* other
religions besides their own and Judaism from Europe, North Africa and
the Middle East. I think that both Christianity and Islam follow the
motto: "Think globally, extirpate locally."

If anyone knows of any evidence for any survival of any religions from
Europe, North Africa or the Middle East - other than Christianity, Islam
and Judaism - that would be another significant contribution to human
knowledge. There are hints and indications here and there - but nothing
that is definitive.

Curt Steinmetz