[Buddha-l] NYTimes.com: Let Us Pray for Wealth

Franz Metcalf franzmetcalf at earthlink.net
Sun Nov 4 10:22:47 MST 2007

Joy et al.,

Joy answered Stan Ziobro's question on why paying taxes might be
considered a more religious (or moral, or spiritual, or Buddhist) act
than giving to a charity. In fact, he answered it so well I think it
bears repeating:

> For a Buddhist [paying taxes] comes as near to the absence of the
> three circles as one can get as a member of society: the subject, the
> object of the giving and the act itself are so diluted that it almost
> looks like the simple act of survival of society itself, almost devoid
> of the notion of individual selves.

I just want to say thank you for this. It gave me one of those rare
"aha!" moments when my eyes are opened to a truth so clear it was
hiding in plain sight. Paying my taxes is indeed a beautiful, and
highly Buddhist, act. Or it would be if I were living in the Vajji
confederacy. But the mere presence of this new understanding in my head
somehow changes me and my relationship to my government.

Bowing,

Franz
(who's about to send off a check for $1800 in property taxes to the
County of Los Angeles)