[Buddha-l] re. Heart of the Matter?

P Amin bluelotus3 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 06:49:31 MST 2007

Hi! All,

I am no scholar but a mere student of Buddhism and am interested in
all other branches of philosophy. I am not even sure if it is my place
here to say something… But I couldn't resist the temptation after
reading the 'heart of the matter'.

I wanted to say something about the Kundalini cakras and the one of
them being near to the heart, and having attributes of the heart.
While interpreting Abhinava Gupta (an eminent tantric philosopher of
11th century based in Kashmir, India), Laxman Joo (a present day
tantric practitioner, also from Kashmir) says that the seat of all
cakras are the heart, despite of their physical location being in
different part of the body. I thought was   an incredible
philosophical finding. I have also read that the seat of the soul
which is the core of our being is at an equal distance form the heart
and the mind (brain) in the middle part of the chest.

As Buddha says 'Daya' in my language and compassion in English which I
think is the core of Buddhism, and from which the whole Buddhist
philosophy emanates, comes from the heart. I would say regarding to my
previous argument that I would do away with just the heart rather than
mind!!!

Parul Amin
India